whats it all about? i dont give a crap!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Go Cynthia!!

At the weekend Cynthia Nixon (who plays Miranda in Sex and the City) announced her engagement to her female partner at a rally for same sex marriage rights in New York, There has been a lot of anger in America about this issue but in her speech she stated the facts purely and simply with passion, its the best argyment for equal rights i have heard in a long time -

Now the main argument I hear against legalizing same-sex marriage is that in some way this will forever alter and mar traditional marriage, and what I want to know is: How? How will my girlfriend and I getting married have any affect on you and your wife, or you and your husband sitting at home? I also hear that the right to legal same-sex marriage is seen as an attack on traditional marriage, and I want to say that you are not the ones being attacked, we are.

And please believe I'm not being flippant when I say this: The right to marry is about us, it is not about you, any more than the fight for integration was about white people, or a women's right to vote was about men. It is only about you to the extent that you have to live with yourself knowing that you are depriving a significant portion of the population their basic civil rights.

you go girl!

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home