whats it all about? i dont give a crap!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Well geezers and gals - I am back from a rather fabulous weekend at the V Festival in Chelmsford - Thank god I was not at the Weston Park site, it sounded like a mudbath - as per the weather forecast was spot on, they said it was going to rain heavily all weekend and in fact it was blazing hot sun! what exactly is the point??

I was actually at the festival working for most of the time - handing out condoms to horny festival freaks and educating them all about the joys of sexual health but I did get the opportunity to see some great acts. Saturday I managed Alanis Morrisette who played a greatest hits set and reminded me how much I love her bitter, twisted, castration style warblings.




Managed to catch a bit of the Kooks who were very jolly and were even joined on stage by Ray Davies of The Kinks (my mother's heartthrob as a teenager). I then hotfooted it over to the 4Music stage for Duffy whose debut album has been on repeat in my ears for months now. She was amazing, pitch perfect and really brought the sunshine out.




After Duffy I worked a bit more before catching the ginger dreadlocked one that is Newton Faulkner - he has that great mix of happy songs and great onstage banter.




Saturday nights headliners on the main stage were the Stereophonics and Muse - I know it's not exactly cool to like the Stereophonics but they do great stadium music and lets face it the lead singer is very pleasing to the eye. As the night drew in and the moon came out, Muse hit the stage with a massive light show to go with their massive sound - absolutely blew me away and was the perfect end to my 1st day.




On Sunday I worked most of the morning before heading the the main stage to catch Girls Aloud who oozed attitude and played all their hits, I had a horrible feeling that the crowd were going to not warm to them but the indie boys and girls were singing along - possibly due to most of them being ratarsed by lunchtime.




They were followed by the Feeling who were ok but did one too many cover versions for my liking, I was very excited about the prospect of Lenny Kravitz having been a bit of a closet fan of his since his very first album was released nearly 10 years ago. I was very impressed - the guy is a true rock star through and through and held the crowd in the palm of his hands.



Now for the drumroll moment, yes after Lenny left the stage the crowd seemed to just get bigger and bigger, was crused against the barrier near the sound desk and people could barely move - why? A certain Ms Amy Winehouse was due on, there had been rumours that her performance the day before had been a disaster and after arriving late she had been booed off stage. I have to admit I thought she was better than expected, she looked very nervous to start off with and kept dashing to the back of the stage for a swig of brandy but all in all she was pretty good and she sang "Love is a Losing Game" which is my fave, she also burst out laughing during "Rehab" as someone in the crowd held up a banner saying "Punch me Amy" in reference to her twatting a fan at Glastonbury earlier this year.




After getting through the crowd I headed to the 4Music stage to see The View, The Zutons and headliners the Kaiser Chiefs who really were fantastic, the lead singer Ricky Wilson really got the crowd going and managed to end my time at the V Festival perfectly.

Only one complaint, After the bands finish they really is not much to do at all - the main arena closes and it's a case of drinking back at your tent, having a dance tent would be a great idea. I still managed to party hard and now am suffering with a cold and a very sore throat! Boo!!!

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home