whats it all about? i dont give a crap!

Monday, February 23, 2009

It's one of my favourite days of the year! yes it's time for all the post Oscar Awards fun! As per usualy I totally missed the actual awards due to nazi style broadcasting, I miss the good old days where the show would be on BBC1 til the early hours and you didn't have to pay to specifically watch it. The great thing though is watching all the best bits on the internet without having to endure the "Best Short Animated Film" etc.

Before I start talking about all that silly acting/film business, I shall get my priorities right and talk about the real issues, the dresses!!!!!!! Ok so who was hot and who was not last night - There were some stunning frocks on show and some hideous mistakes, so let's begin with the classic, never puts a foot wrong, She finally won the Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in "The Reader" - the sublime Kate Winslet!




A surprise actress who nailed it in my opinion, mainly because I loves me a good train! Marisa Tomei looked stunning



Meryl Streep is always a bit hit and miss at these things, she either looks flawless or like she was getting dressed whilst making the kids lunch, making sure they had all done their homework and ending up leaving the house with her blouse on backwards and toast in her hair but thankfully the fashion gods gobbed a huge spit of style on her and she looked amazing, here with her co-stars from doubt, although her co star Viola Davis' dress does remind me of something Whoopi Goldbergs character would have worn in Sister Act and I aint talking about a bad habit!




Speaking of Whoopi - jesus suffering fuck! that is all I can say, it is like Scary Spice actually ate a leopard and vomitted all over her, maybe not just the one leopard, had to steal this image from Perez Hilton, no one else seems brave enough to show it




Other stunners on the night included the always fabulous Sarah Jessica Parker, just perfection




Penelope Cruz always delivers and nailed it with this, but she is so stunning she could probably even make crocs work




Now Beyonce what have I told you, stop stop stop getting that colorblind mother of yours to make your oufits, you look like a pair of curtains at Neverland girl!




The award for wasting potential with a safeblack dress goes to "faceache, I don't want to be here" Angelina Jolie, honey you are truly sensationally good looking but you can't just rely on Brad Pitt to make your outfit pop and at least smile with your eyes!




That's enough of the fashion, the awards were hosted by one of the hottest men around, the great Hugh Jackman who has that rare quality of being drop dead gorgeous, totally charming and immensely talented. Apparently he did a great job but I can't say I have seen enough of the show yet to judge, but boy he looks good in a suit!




The speeches were all good, Winslet didn't shame herself but actually said what I think anyone would say in that situation. Sean Penn used his win for Best Actor in the Harvey Milk biopic "Milk" to highlight some very important issues

"Thank you. Thank you. You commie, homo-loving sons-of-guns. I did not expect this, but I, and I want it to be very clear, that I do know how hard I make it to appreciate me often. But I am touched by the appreciation and I hoped for it enough that I did want to scribble down, so I had the names in case you were commie, homo-loving sons-of-guns, and so I want to thank my best friend, Sata Matsuzawa. My circle of long-time support, Mara, Brian, Barry and Bob. The great Cleve Jones. Our wonderful writer, Lance Black. Producers Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks.
And particularly, as all, as actors know, our director either has the patience, talent and restraint to grant us a voice or they don't, and it goes from the beginning of the meeting, through the cutting room. And there is no finer hands to be in than Gus Van Sant. And finally, for those, two last finallies, for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support.

We've got to have equal rights for everyone. And there are, and there are, these last two things. I'm very, very proud to live in a country that is willing to elect an elegant man president and a country who, for all its toughness, creates courageous artists. And this is in great due respect to all the nominees, but courageous artists, who despite a sensitivity that sometimes has brought enormous challenge, Mickey Rourke rises again and he is my brother. Thank you all very much"
No Thankyou Sean for playing Harvey Milk with such respect and dignity and for speaking out when it isn't always cool to do so.




Another great speech on the night which brought a tear to my eye was the heartfelt speech of Dustin Lance Black who won the screenplay award for "Milk" saying
"I heard the story of Harvey Milk and it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life openly as who I am, and that one day I could even fall in love and get married.

"I want to thank my mom, who has always loved me for who I am even when there was pressure not to.

"But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he would want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches or by the government or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value, and that no matter what anyone tells you God does love you and that very soon I promise you, you will have equal rights federally across this great nation of ours.
"Thank you and thank you God for giving us Harvey Milk

I have yet to see Slumdog Millionaire but may try and catch it next weekend, I shall reserve judgement til then.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home