whats it all about? i dont give a crap!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Each week in London there are 2 free gay magazines available called Boyz and QX, the magazines feature a range of articles on health, entertainment, lifestyle and the gay scene. This week Boyz magazine has focused on the upcoming Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month which is taking place throughout February. Interviews have taken place with characters from the last 4 decades on how they came out and whether they think there is a need for LGBT History month. The interview for this decade is with Brian Dowling who won the 2nd series of Big Brother and went onto have a semi successful TV presenting career. The interview with him made me want to scream.

"I don't think gay history month is important. I've never done a gay march. I don't know a lot about gay history and i dont think we need to. Being gay is such a personal thing and i dont think people should sit down and Google "gay history". i dont want to sound ungrateful, because i am thankful to people who have changed things, but i'm not really militant or political.

These day's i don't think we need to wear T-shirts saying "I'm Gay" - in this day in age, we don't need to go on marches. Because gay people are accepted, we don't need to be aggressive"

Well thanks for that Brian, i feel so much better after your words of wisdom, i shall now go out in Newcastle city centre on a saturday night and kiss a guy right in the middle of the street knowing that i won't get called names or beaten up or end up in hospital, in fact i am sure people will circle me and my male friend and cheer us on, they may even break into a chorus of "glad to be gay" - hoorah, hoorah and thrice hoorah for gays in Britain today.

To say that "gay people are accepted" is a rather sweeping and naive statement. I wonder if he has been in a secondary or indeed primary school lately and listened to how many times a day the word "gay" is used in a negative way, myself and Brain Dowling are very lucky as we both have occupations where it is pretty much accepted but i can't imagine working in a small town and having to hide every last aspect of your life all the time.

LGBT History Month is vitally important, it gets agencies like mine into schools so we can get young people talking about sexuality in a positive way, it gives me a chance to look back to times gone by and heroes of mine that have paved the way for me to live my life and it also gives me the chance to think about my life and realise that coming out is still the best thing i have ever done.

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home