whats it all about? i dont give a crap!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I'm not religious!

I was not raised religious, My parents both colme from quite religious families and they hated the way they were made to go to church when they were young, when my brother and i were born they made the decision that they would not force us into any religion but just let us grow up and make our own choices.

Growing up gay I soon realised that most religions had something to say on homosexuality and the majority of it was negative. This led to me being very anti-religion for a very long time. All I seemed to see on TV and in the media was the religious implications of war, violence, ignorance and terrorism.

At the moment at work i am organising an event that is going to focus on gay men and their religion, this has led to me speaking to various representatives from religious/faith groups. This has made me realise that i do not know dick about religion. You hear on the news all the time about the ridiculous statements from the Vatican that have no bearing or relevance to the way human beings run their lives and i then take that on by thinking that all catholics are stupid but in fact i need to open my eyes and realise that with any religion, you take what you want from it and leave the crazy alone.

I am sure this event will change my perspective a great deal by looking into ways that professional gay men like my dear self can work with faith leaders to ensure they are taking issues of sexuality on board.

No matter what happens though, I can safely say that i have given up hope on the pope

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home